Post by angelobryant on Aug 9, 2007 11:39:02 GMT 8
thanks for the tips on this thread. thankfully I live 3 minutes away from work. I have time to ride every morning from 6 to 7:30 am. been practicing trial moves lately and this one skill (bunny hop) i hope to be able to perform soon. thanks for the links too
If you're gonna visit Nueva Ecija and want to know a good trail destination, ask me. I don't know sh!t! =)
lemme share something and i hope i'm not made a laughing stock of the whole PinoyMTBiker nation ;D
i took mtbiking at a very late rubbery age and i'm in my first year into it + a couple of months. i'm into the physical conditioning factor and obviously i took the more "easier" of all the mtbiking discipline which is that of XC (simple lang nothing aggresive). all the while i thought that since i'll just be doing XC and will not be doing the jumps and the drops that the AM, FR and DJ brother does, all i need to do was develop my legs and lungs for those long XC rides and forego doing bunny hops, but the following experiences changed my views:
1. after doing the licao2 trail and on our way back to civilization via pangarap (sometime early this year), there's a concrete-to-rough transition part after the fast downhill (i believe those who have done licao-bricktown is familiar with this portion) which is best ridden IMHO by doing a bunnyhop on that concrete to rough gap (to cushion the maybe 4-6" drop or more depending on the road condition).
2. the more experienced riders i saw bunny-hopped the gap and did it in a breeze, as i don't have any iota of bunny-hopping skills i just rode and dropped the gap and wham!!! my front tire wiggled due to a bad drop and if not for the timely re-control of the handlebar, i may had crashed at around 30-35kph.
3. those speedbumps be it on road or trails (they have some in la mesa mind you) seems to be best bunny-hopped too. this time i semplanged in la mesa riding one during a downhill run.
4. those surprise ruts or road/trail litters(bunny-hoppable) during downhills can save you from semplang if you know bunny-hopping skills, i think.
5. and last but not the least, i know this is not bunny hopping anymore but lifting the front tire, clearing those gutters to go up a sidewalk saves you from dismounts. i also made a semplang one time trying to clear one...OUCH!
so with this in mind, i said that i'll try to learn this bunny-hopping skills.some tips were given by ronald, others i picked-up while watching the last HBDJ clinic. but even with the knowledge, it made me wonder why my bunnyhop doesnt go higher than an inch but the best tip i got, finally is the one from wadesingson:
" often overlooked technique - push down before you pull up. "
it's funny but almost daily when i buy my merienda at work using our beaten (not beater kasi talagang totally laspag na) bike i make it a point to practice bunnyhop using that push down then pull technique and IT WORKS!!!!!! right now i can clear some 4-6 inch ruts in the road, i know that this is not much but thru practice, perfect timing and perhaps refinement of some skills the old dog has finally learned his trick ;D
haba ng kwento ko
Last Edit: Aug 10, 2007 14:27:36 GMT 8 by arcireyes
Not what we have, but what we use, Not what we see, but what we choose- These are the things that mar or bless The sum of human happiness - anonymous
bunny hop is next on my skills-to-learn list... thanks to sir arci's narration, i have convinced myself that i need to learn this (why am i being so paranoid to crash while clearing the ground?) ... now, should practice that "push to pull" when no one's looking. ;D
For those who are waiting for my lecture in bunnyhopping, it will take awhile, since I haven't gone past the 1" clearance. Gee, I should start practicing.
If Tito Arci can do it, then a teenager like me should be able to follow! ;D
So far, my notes includes: 1. Maintain required speed. When distance from obstacle is arrived, start bunnyhop program/mechanics.
Push down the handlebar hard and pull up hard and throw the handlebar forward while turning the handlebar with a wrist forward motion in a deathgrip fashion while both feet are firmly planted on the pedals whilst launching the whole body upward like its a life and death situation while shouting AIYEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
1A. Wear full protection, with friends and ambulance nearby. 1B. Check Health card contract and validity.
(Experts, please correct/update my notes as needed. Thank you!)
It is true that one may become rich through practicing evil, but the power of Truth and Justice is that they endure... and that a man can say of them, "They are a heritage from my father." - from the book DUNE
Sir why is it that I feel my bunny hop is not getting higher but lower instead? am I getting fat/heavy or i'm just not doing the right thing? I'll join you guys on the 18th and i'll show you and please tell me if that's correct or not..thanks mga idol
bunnyhops.... mmmmm.... there is also a secret thing on the "hagod" while exploding... hey pat when n where is this ride? would love to come... wish i could still develop my bunnyhops... its seems like im stuck at a certain height for the past weeks... i wish i could do those hardcore bunnyhops of TRA, jeff lenosky... hehehe
Sent ya PM. The venue is @ Canonigo park at Quirino Ave Ext. corner Zulueta St. Paco Manila from 3 PM to 6 PM. Then night ride and noodle ride afterwards til after midnight. Er assuming the weather permits ... ;D